When a website or mobile application is built by the developer, it goes into the hands of a quality assurance specialist to check for any possible errors or functionality issues. This is an essential level to check the standards according to certain guidelines which are commonly known as test cases.
is broadly classified into manual testing & automated testing, latter being the more advanced version . Automated testing is like development done according to the test cases unlike vice-versa. This practice of software development is known as test-driven development. Before starting to build code for a certain web page or mobile application, test cases are written and then run. The test cases can also be modified to include more parameters.
Pros of using automated testing:
• Free from human errors: Automated testing is much more reliable in terms of eliminating human errors as the testing is done using machines having pre-described tools and test cases.
• Effective for repeated tasks: If you are coding for similar web elements again and again, then automated testing can save a lot of time for you. You just need to create a test case template and run it once for all.
• Reuse of test results: Results obtained after the testing can be used by other members of the team, unlike manual testing where there is no option to store the test procedure.
• Better consistency: As the same process is being followed by the script to test code, consistent results are being obtained. Moreover, there’s no risk of missing any testing step, as is sometimes observed in the case of manual testing.
• Time Saving : It takes time to perform any changes when retesting the software in case of manual testing as the whole process is followed again from the start. Whereas in automated testing, the same work can be done by just running the same script again.
• Comparatively expensive: It is comparatively expensive in terms of building a new automation structure and consistent supervision requirement. Initial costs are generally high as the tools can be expensive.
• High maintenance: Large test case files become unmanageable as more technical expertise is required to decode and rewrite them.
• AI incapability: Test scripts cannot rectify themselves according to the code requirement. After all, they will only do what they are programmed to do.
• Technical limitations: Certain things need human intervention while testing such as graphic color, font format or some meta tag specifications. These are the limitations that automated testing fails to test in a code.
While choosing one option between manual and automated testing, one must keep these things in mind based on the requirement of the business or a product. Cogniter Technologies is a leading software testing services company
having a team of dedicated professionals that can help you make the right choice for your company.
Kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further.